Character Artist (Generalist)
Day rate: £350 – £400
Duration: 5 months initially (high likelihood of extension)
TEC Partners are working with a global leading business on an incredibly exciting new project, looking for a Character Artist (Generalist) to join them on an initial 5 month contract, with a high likelihood of extension. As a Character Artist (Generalist), you will bring your understanding of human anatomy, appearance and kinematics, as well as experience in the technical aspects of your craft. You will mix this with cutting edge artificial intelligence, sensors and displays developed by the rest of the team to enable experiences of social virtual presence in mixed reality.
This is a unique opportunity to shape the future of social virtual presence in mixed reality, working directly with the team that delivered the tracking AI for Kinect and HoloLens. As a Character Artist (Generalist), your input will be vital to bring life and appeal to virtual characters created with cutting-edge artificial intelligence.
* Creating characters that will be full of life and personality whilst adhering to technical restrictions, applying your excellent understanding of the technical process combined with the key fundamentals of anatomy , appearance and kinematics
* Collaborating with the design team to conceptualize and model characters style
* Collaborating with the scientists and other partners to experiment with – and give feedback on – different rigs and topologies
* Be responsible for look development and shader design for real time non-photorealistic and stylized visual effects
* Inform the development of machine learning models
What we’re looking for:
* Strong understanding of anatomy, proportion, and color, with particular focus on human face
* Strong understanding of technical considerations for character creation
* Experience with facial and corrective blendshapes
* Experience with creating meshes with clean topology for deformation.
* Experience in designing shaders
* Experience in creating characters for real time animation
* Ability to adapt to and innovate new styles and techniques
* Experience with using any .fbx compatible 3D package for a Unity 3D-based project, such as 3D Studio Max, Blender, Maya, or similar
Nice to have’s:
* Knowledge of Python to develop tools and scripts to improve efficiencies
* Experience in making photo-realistic heads and hair
* Experience in real-time hair creation
* Previous experience in working on an indie game, a mobile or VR project
* Other experience in gaming or VFX
This is an opportunity for a Character Artist (Generalist) to join on of the most exciting and innovative projects out there right now. You must be curious, comfortable dealing with the ambiguity of R&D work and take delight in learning new tools and techniques. If you are a Character Artist (Generalist) looking for an exciting new project, and want to play your part in redefining the meaning of virtual presence in missed reality, then get in touch right away to avoid missing out!
If you are interested in this position or would like to discuss further, please send your CV for immediate review.